St. Dominic School proudly traces its heritage to 1854 when the Dominican Sisters first opened St. Catherine Academy on the present site of Solano Square Shopping Center in downtown Benicia. St. Catherine Academy served the needs of Catholic education in Benicia until the 1960’s when the school was permanently closed.
The Dominican Sisters were instrumental in opening the newly built St. Dominic Parish School built on the grounds adjoining the church in 1961. It continues to thrive today in the Dominican tradition of Catholic educational excellence. Currently the school is staffed by a lay faculty and staff.